This course facilitates students to master the knowledge base of social work and incorporate relevant social science knowledge for developing a critical understanding of social phenomena and social work intervention; equip students with the ability to analyze and practice social work, apply social development concepts and have a good judgement when serving in different organizational and service contexts. The course also enhances the personal and professional growth of students in becoming a competent and reflective professional social worker and in possessing the professional values and qualities that a social worker should have.
Rich social worker training experience
- The Hong Kong Technology College has over 15 years of experience in running higher diploma courses in social work and has trained up thousands of social workers over the years.
Courses and graduates with professional recognition
- The course has been approved by the Social Workers Registration Board and graduates can apply to become registered social workers.
Employment advantages and decent income
- Graduates can serve as Assistant Social Work Officer (ASWO) or equivalent. The starting salary for the government is at point 16 on the MPS (starting salary at point 16 in 2018/19 is $ 31,685).
Bilingual teaching is conducive to learning
- The course is taught in either Chinese or English as specified with reference books and materials written in Chinese and English. Lecturers will teach in the language most conducive to students’ learning while giving chances to further develop their competence in both languages.
Generalist social work training that values down-to-earth practice and values
- The course aims to train students to become a practical and open-minded generalist social worker, who can continue to grow at the individual and professional level, while embracing the ideal of social work, affirming the value of people, tolerating differences, and exercising independent judgment with self-reflection ability and sense of responsibility when providing services for people with different needs and promoting social development.
Fieldwork placement opportunities to enhance theoretical and practical integration
- The 800-hour internship allows each student to experience the integration of theory and practice in different fields such as services for young people, people with disabilities, the elderly and families under the guidance of a supervisor. This will help students to gain experience and deepen their learning experience.
Key Training Features
This course will develop students’ internal capital through many social work practice subjects and two fieldwork placements. It aims to cultivate students' ability and quality in all aspects:
Accumulated personal capital
- Internal capital, such as personal health, values, life skills, and good interpersonal relationships, are indispensable for the personal and professional growth of students.
Passion and compassion
- Passion is the basic condition for achieving success but social workers need to have compassion at the same time, coupled with compassionate actions which help reduce or eliminate the suffering of the client, and prevent professional workers from the pitfalls of becoming aloft and arrogant.
Innovation and creativity
- Social workers must also think outside the box and practice their profession creatively. With the strength of the college in social innovation education, this course also trains students to be open-minded and accept changes so that they can solve social problems with innovative ideas.
Social development perspective
- The focus of social development is to accumulate capital on social networks and relationships through the collaboration of different stakeholders, and to respond more effectively to social needs and complex social issues. Through multi-party cooperation, sustainable social development can be achieved.