This programme enables students to develop the philosophy as well as a broad and solid knowledge base in sports management and coaching for the betterment of society through promoting active lifestyle. It equips students with the practical knowledge and skills to perform diverse management duties in the sports industry. It also provides students with the training in interpersonal skills and the experiential learning opportunities that socialize them into the respective professions of sports management and coaching.
Paving the way for professional advancement
- This programme covers the concept of sports management and nurtures sports entrepreneurship. It encourages students to operate related entrepreneurship in order to contribute to the Hong Kong sports industry with a new direction.
Sports coaching as an entry point, becoming a knowledge-based professional
- This programme briefs students on the principles of sports coaching as well as the essential support for nurturing athletes; students will be able to adopt the perspectives of coaches and athletes and effectively implement, evaluate and optimize sports policies and measures.
Strategic use of medium of instruction
- This programme is one of a few sports management programmes using Chinese to assess student performance in Hong Kong. It uses Chinese as a medium of instruction for more than half of subjects, the assessment of assignments is also mainly in Chinese. Students are encouraged to have academic discussion proactively. Other subjects will be taught in English; this can better equip students to get in line with their international counterparts in the sports management profession.
Special offer of multiple scholarships
- In order to encourage those who are interested in participating in sports management and promoting active lifestyle, HKCT Institute of Higher Education (the Institute) offers a $10,000 or $20,000 scholarship to newly enrolled students. Students with excellent academic performance may have the opportunity to receive full or half tuition scholarship for the year. A specific “Physical Development Excellence Scholarship” is established for students who have attained Level 4 or above in the Physical Education elective of HKDSE; or attained “Distinction II” in the “Applied Learning – Sports and Fitness Coaching” awarded by the Hong Kong College of Technology; or have been a Hong Kong representative in international games, are welcome to apply. Successful applicants are granted a maximum full-tuition fee waiver for the entire study duration after deduction of NMTSS of the programme.
Providing various extra-curricular learning experience
- This programme engages students in different activities, site visits and field observation. Students get an in-depth study of different areas, covering the related key features, development, coaching considerations and management strategies. Students will not only gain a better understanding of the sports management profession but also a fruitful whole-person development.
Practical work opportunity, train to be sports executives
- Apart from the internship for 300 hours (20-hour pre-placement workshop and 280-hour fieldwork experience), this programme provides opportunities of practical work sporadically. It helps students to establish their self-image, interiorize the working ethic of sports management and develop the professional network of themselves. Apart from putting knowledge into practice, students can also experience the challenges that sports executives would face and learn the strategies to resolve the problem.
2+2 Articulation Scheme
- Principles of Sports Management
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Entrepreneurship
- Risk Management and Legal Aspects in Sports
- Olympism and Olympic Movement (Partner with SF&OC)
- Programme Planning and Evaluation in Sports
- Sports Media
- Sports Injuries
- Sports Nutrition
- Offer of the subjects (including electives) is subject to Institute’s final decision without prior notice.
- Individual students may be required to take supplementary subjects which might extend their duration of study.
HKCT has dedicated resources to build different indoor and outdoor sports facilities, including a fitness room that houses professional fitness training equipment, a full-mirror Dancing Room, and a standard basketball court, in order to allow students who take sports-related programmes to improve their persona athleticism and become professional fitness coaches. These recreation and sports facilities are also open to HKCT students in general to encourage them to maintain physical and mental health and strengthen students' sense of belonging to the institute.
Dancing & Fitness Studio
Hong Kong Centre for Olympic Studies
Hong Kong Centre for Olympic Studies (the Centre) at HKCT Academic Pavilion (Library) and becomes the only higher education institution in Hong Kong listed in the Academic Olympic Studies and Research Centres in the world. The Centre provides an extensive collection of books, journals, and magazines on the Olympics and sports. Also, the Centre holds exhibitions and activities periodically, which is aimed at raising teachers’ and students' awareness of Olympism and enriching students' knowledge of the sports industry.