This programme facilitates students to have a solid foundation of the professional knowledge and perspectives in early childhood education. It equips students with analytical and practical skills to work effectively with young children and their families in an inclusive manner; and enhances students in both personal growth and professional growth for embracing professional values and dispositions/qualities that an early childhood educator should possess.
Full Professional Recognition
- The programme is recognised by the Education Bureau (EDB), the Social Welfare Department (SWD) and the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ). Graduates of the Programme will be eligible to apply for registration as Qualified kindergarten teachers with Certificate in Early Childhood Education [C(ECE)], Child Care Worker (CCW), Child Care Supervisor (CCS) and Special Child Care Worker (SCCW).
Focus on Inclusive Education
- The Programme is not only a general Higher Diploma in Early Childhood Education (ECE) but also with elements covering the values of inclusive education which include respect for diverse needs and the importance of early intervention for children with early signs of special educational needs, which equip students to have general knowledge towards special child care education in order to provide sufficient care to young children in early childhood setting and registered as SCCW.
- Riding on the tide of change for a culturally responsive work environment, the Programme equips students with general knowledge towards different programme and service models to help Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) children in the learning of Chinese and local culture.
- Through practicums in kindergarten-cum-child care centres with Integrated Programme, student teachers will be allowed to integrate their skills to serve mainstream children, children with early signs of special educational needs and NCS children as well in an inclusive manner.
Versatility in Hands-on Skills
- The curriculum has been enriched with hands-on skills which are mostly required of ECE graduates. For example, students will learn about event management to organise and manage events such as graduation ceremony. Enrichment activities such as professional talks, workshops, visits and exchange trip are organized for students to equip them to be professional early childhood educators. Also, an elective cluster covering skills relating to health and fitness as well as food nutrition is in place for interested students to acquire relevant certificates which may help increase students' employability and allow them to serve better in the ECE field.
Ann Chiang’s Scholarship
- The HKCT Institute of Higher Education provides "Ann Chiang Scholarship" to students with remarkable personal character and respectable personal past experience. Each successful applicant will be granted a half exemption of the tuition fee for the entire study duration of the programme. A limited number of scholarships are available.
- Child Development – Infants and Toddlers Development
- Child Development – Preschoolers Development
Early Childhood Education / Curriculum: Planning
- Introduction to Early Childhood Education
- Introduction to Psychology
- Learning and Teaching for Cognitive and Language Development
- Early Childhood Play Context and Creativity through Art and Music
- Health, Safety and Physical Fitness for the Young Child
- Early Mathematics, Science and Technology for the Early Childhood
- Administration and Event Management in Early Childhood Organisation
- Principles and Practice for Planning Early Childhood Programmes
- Early Childhood Curriculum: Planning and Implementation
- Family and School Collaboration
Special Education / Inclusive Education
- Understanding Diversity Among Children
- Introduction to Teaching Strategies for Children with Special Needs
- Early Childhood Inclusive Education
- Curriculum Planning for Inclusive Education
- Individualised Education Programme (IEP)
- Practicum I: Fieldwork Practice - Induction to Basic Preschool Teaching Skills
- Practicum II: Fieldwork Practice- Planning and Implementing Early Childhood Learning Activities
- Nutrition and Health
- Health and Fitness
General Education Subjects
- Ethics and Professional Development
- Academic English
- Chinese Communication
- Putonghua Communication
- Information Management Technologies
Offer of the subjects (including electives) is subject to the Institute's final decision without prior notice.